Most of the queries we’ve received over the years have been specific to our construction process, as well as what exactly it takes to become a Wausau Homes Builder. If you've been questioning some of these same points, the information below will help.
- How long has Wausau Homes been in business?
- Where is your Headquarters located?
- In what states do you sell your products?
- How many dealers / Builders do you currently have?
- How many homes have you built?
- Do I need any prior industry experience to become a Wausau Homes Builder?
- Is there an initial Franchise Fee?
- Are there any ongoing Royalty Fees?
- Are there any Advertising Fees?
- What will I receive as part of the Wausau Homes Business System?
- How much is the initial investment to start a Wausau Homes business?
- What is the term of the Agreement?
- What training will I receive?
- How large are the Wausau Home’s Design Centers?
- Do you provide ongoing support?
- How much can I make owning a Wausau Homes homebuilding business?
- How do I get started?
- QUESTION: How long has Wausau Homes been in business?
ANSWER: Wausau Homes has been in business since 1960. We are a privately held family owned business.
- QUESTION: Where is your Headquarters located?
ANSWER: The Wausau Homes Corporate offices and state of the art assembly facility are located in Rothschild, WI.
- QUESTION: In what states do you sell your products?
ANSWER: We currently do business in 6 Midwestern States. They are: Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, UP Michigan, Minnesota, and Missouri.
- QUESTION: How many dealers / Builders do you currently have?
- ANSWER: We currently have 40 Authorized Builders. Some have been successful Wausau Builders for 30 years or more.
- QUESTION: How many homes have you built?
ANSWER: We have built over 150,000 homes throughout the Midwest.
- QUESTION: Do I need any prior industry experience to become a Wausau Homes Builder?
ANSWER: No. We are also looking for candidates that have an entrepreneurial spirit, great people skills, prior management or business ownership experience and a strong commitment to customer service.
- QUESTION: Is there an initial Franchise Fee?
ANSWER: No. There are no upfront or ongoing franchise fees of any kind. Wausau Homes is not a franchise organization. We are a privately held family owned business.
- QUESTION: Are there any ongoing Royalty Fees?
ANSWER: No. Unlike Franchise Organizations there are no royalty fees of any kind. Franchise organizations will typically charge around 5% of weekly gross sales revenues to offset their support related expenses. These fees effectively come out of your profits.
- QUESTION: Are there any Advertising Fees?
ANSWER: No. There are no advertising fees or funds of any kind. Franchise organizations will typically require up to 3% for corporate marketing funds.
However, as a Wausau Homes Builder you will be trained how to prepare a marketing plan and be responsible for your own media and advertising costs.
- QUESTION: What will I receive as part of the Wausau Homes Business System?
- 2 comprehensive 1- week training sessions
- Assistance with your site location, configuration, set-up and Grand Opening
- A detailed operating manual, systems software, marketing templates, and more
- Access to field and corporate support resources
- QUESTION: How much is the initial investment to start a Wausau Homes business?
- The initial capital expense for the set-up and outfitting of your Design Center will be approximately $45K. This includes all your furnishings, systems, displays, samples and signage.
- You should also have access to funds and financing in the range of $35k. This will be needed to jump start your cash flow for the first several months. Your actual costs will vary depending on your personal financial situation.
- You are responsible for securing your own space through either lease or purchase.
- QUESTION: What is the term of the Agreement?
ANSWER: The initial term of the Premier Builder Agreement is 3 years with optional 3-year renewals.
- QUESTION: What training will I receive?
ANSWER: We will provide 2 comprehensive 1-week training sessions prior to the time of your opening, plus ongoing support by a dedicated Wausau Homes Business Development Manager. Your training will include Business Set-up, Sales, Marketing and Systems training. There is no charge for this training however you are responsible to pay for your travel and living expenses while attending our Corporate Learning Center.
- QUESTION: How large are the Wausau Home’s Design Centers?
ANSWER: Ideally we recommend that your Design Center be a minimum of 1500-2000 square feet. This ensures adequate space for all the critical furnishings, displays and components.
- QUESTION: Do you provide ongoing support?
ANSWER: Yes. Our goal is to establish a long lasting and successful partnership with each and every one of our Builders, and to support you every step of the way. We will continue to provide ongoing support services to you by phone, email, and periodic visits by your assigned Business Development Manager. Plus, we regularly update our Operations Manual with new procedures and key information designed to improve your operations.
- QUESTION: How much can I make owning a Wausau Homes homebuilding business?
ANSWER: This depends on a number of factors including the specific location of your business, the terms of your lease, your sales revenues and ability to manage your business effectively.
However, we carefully analyze each market to determine individual territories that allow each Builder to realize the same level of volume. We will also train you how to develop an effective marketing plan to help you achieve your goals.
The best way to learn about the potential return on investment is to talk to other Wausau Home Builders. Once we meet we can help arrange discussions with other builders. We can also show you examples of business plans and financial work sheets when you meet with your Business Development Manager.
- QUESTION: How do I get started?
ANSWER: If you would like to learn more about becoming an authorized Wausau Homes Builder, please fill out this simple form, or contact our builder recruitment team at (715) 241-4743.
We will be happy to discuss the opportunity in greater detail and answer any additional questions that you may have.