There's no place like home, and there's no home like a custom home. Not only has the world changed, but the world is changing. With remote work becoming more of an option, people are realizing that they can live anywhere they want. Suddenly, the allure of a small town with a close-knit community is more appealing than ever. With changing communities, family needs, and work schedules come the need for changing housing. More and more people are opting to build custom homes rather than buy an existing home.
There are many reasons to consider building a custom home, but these four reasons why now is the perfect time to do it may just be the push you need to finally take the plunge. If you're on the fence about whether building a new custom home is right for you, read on to learn more.
- Get the home that fits your exact needs.
When you build a custom home, you get to choose every last detail, from the number of bedrooms and bathrooms to the layout of the kitchen. You also get to pick out all of the finishes, from flooring and countertops to fixtures and paint colors. This means that you can create a home that perfectly fits your needs rather than settling for a home that's close but not quite right.
What are the qualities of a home that fits your exact needs? Here are three:
- Location: If you have a specific location in mind for your new home, building custom means that you can make it happen. Maybe you want to be close to family or friends, near good schools or amenities, or in a certain neighborhood. Whatever your reasons, building custom gives you the power to choose where your home will be located.
- Size: Do you need a lot of space or just a little? It may have been a long time since your last home purchase, and your needs may have changed. With a custom home, you can build as large or small of a home as you want, ensuring that it perfectly meets your needs. This is especially important if you have specific needs like an in-law suite or a home office.
- Design: With a custom home, you get to choose the design of your home from top to bottom. If you want the front door to open right into the gathering room or have the master bedroom off to a corner away from the rest of the home, you can make it happen. And if you have an unconventional style that fits your personality, or a unique floor plan that works better for your lifestyle, you can design a custom home to make all of those things come true.
So whatever the exact needs are for YOUR family, a custom home can be designed and built to fill them.
- You set the terms of pricing, timeline, and location.
When you buy an existing home, you're at the mercy of the seller when it comes to price, timing, and location. But when you build a custom home, YOU are in control. You can work with your builder to find a lot in your ideal location and then negotiate pricing and timeline terms that work for you.
When you purchase an existing home, many of the decisions have already been made for you.
- Would you have chosen the marble countertop in the kitchen?
- How about the light fixtures in the living room?
- Would you have put the kids' playroom in the basement or upstairs?
- Would you have chosen the same type of windows?
Whatever decisions went into an existing home, they were made for a particular family - just not yours.
The hard part with this is you are also the one paying for those decisions that were made years ago. You either have to pay for it because those decisions influenced the overall cost of the home, or you have to pay for it by pulling it all out and remodeling to your liking. Or worse, you have to pay for it by simply living in it and having your home not completely working for you.
With a custom home, YOU get to make all of these decisions.
In a custom home, every decision is up to you.
You get to choose the style, materials, colors, and layout of your home. This means that your new home will perfectly reflect your taste and needs instead of someone else's.
And finally, when you build a custom home, you're in control of the build process from start to finish. You get to choose your builder, your materials, and your timeline. This means that you can avoid many of the stressful surprises that come with buying an existing home.
With a custom home, all of these decisions are made upfront so that you can get exactly what you want from your new home - on your terms.
By building a custom home, you get to turn your dream into reality and make the perfect place for your family - today. It's an investment that will pay off in both the short term and the long-term. And with Wausau Homes as your builder, you don't have to worry about compromising quality or cutting corners - you get the full-service experience that you deserve.
So if you're considering buying a home, don't settle for existing homes with somebody else's decisions. Build your own custom home and gain the power to make all of your decisions!
- Lack of available homes on the market.
Are you subscribed to all of the real estate websites and apps? Staying on top of the latest listings is a full-time job in and of itself. The moment you actually get ahold of a real estate agent and start looking at homes, you realize that the homes on the market are either:
- a) Already under contract
- b) Not what you're looking for
- c) Way out of your budget
You're not the only one looking for a new home. You're competing with other families who are also looking for their perfect home. The current housing market is extremely competitive, with far more buyers than there are homes available for sale. Not only that, but many homes are being purchased by groups of investors and turning homes into rental properties, meaning that there are even fewer homes available for sale to regular buyers. It's frustrating, to say the least.
This means that if you're looking to buy an existing home, you'll likely end up in a bidding war or paying more than you originally budgeted for.
But when you build a custom home, you don't have to deal with any of that. You get to work with your builder to find a lot in your ideal location and then negotiate pricing and timeline terms that work for you.
- Imagine not being limited by what's available on the market.
- Imagine being able to find a lot in your ideal location and then building the home of your dreams on it.
- Imagine not having to worry about other families and investment groups outbidding you on the home you've been waiting for.
That's what you can do when you build a custom home. You're not limited by what someone else has decided to put on the market - you can have exactly what YOU want. You can build the home of your dreams exactly the way you want it, and you don't have to worry about finding it on the market.
- Lock in financing now instead of gambling with the future.
Interest rates are currently on the rise after years of historically low rates. This has led many people to do one of two things...
- Sit and wait. For those opting to sit and wait, they're banking on the fact that interest rates will go back down again in the future so that they can get a lower rate when they eventually do decide to buy a home.
- Lock in financing now. On the other hand, there are those who are choosing to lock in their financing now while interest rates are still relatively low. By doing this, they're ensuring that they won't have to worry about interest rates going up in the future and costing them more money.
So which is the right decision? Well, that depends on a lot of factors, but one thing is certain - both options come with a certain amount of risk. If you choose to sit and wait, you're gambling on the fact that interest rates will go back down. And if they don't? You'll end up paying more for your home than you would have if you had locked in financing now.
On the other hand, if you choose to lock in your financing now, you're gambling on the fact that interest rates won't go down. And while it's true that interest rates are rising, they're still relatively low in comparison to where they have been historically. And if they do go down? You will be able to refinance and get a lower rate.
The best way to protect yourself from any of these risks is to build your custom home now while interest rates are still relatively low. This will ensure that you can lock in financing now and know for sure what your exact payments will be for the life of your loan.
The best way to make this decision is to speak with a financial advisor who can help you weigh the risks and benefits of each option and make the best decision for your unique situation.
Your Future Is In Your Hands
For many, the future can feel uncertain. But when it comes to building a custom home, you have the power to make your future certain by taking advantage of today's market conditions.
By working with Wausau Homes to build your custom home, you'll be able to take advantage of decades of experience helping homebuyers just like you build the home they've always dreamed of in their ideal location.
It all starts with a conversation with an independent authorized Wausau Homes builder. That conversation can give you clarity and insight into how you can make your dream of building a custom home a reality. Our network of builders spread across the Midwest knows the area you want to build in and have the experience to help make your custom home dreams a reality.
So don't wait any longer. Take action today to secure your future - build the custom home of your dreams now with Wausau Homes!